A little bit of prehistory It was 1 am in the morning on 01 Jan 2011. We could still hear the fading sound of fireworks as 99% of the country had just celebrated the new year. The remaining 1% were working – the police, the fire brigade, the medical workers and us – the founders […]
Introducing Kanban into your team or organization does not merely transform the way you manage work. It also impacts how you, collectively as a team, look at work. The big leap forward happens when team members start to think of their work as a system, instead of seeing it as a group of individual tasks. […]
I’ve been dealing with Kanban for the past 10 years. In the beginning, it was just my work passion, then it turned to be my company and to some extent, my life. There’s a bit of irony in this, however. Throughout this decade of learning and experimentation, I never found a project planning model that […]
Once in a while, people embarrass themselves publicly. As much as I hate these events, I’m no exception. One such mini-embarrassment for me was when I asked the following question on Twitter: Although I had the best of intentions, looking at the replies made it clear that I had something to learn. My attitude was […]
Have you ever wondered why your home needs tidying up from time to time? For some reason, socks always end up on the floor, your desk is a mess and that one thing you need is buried somewhere in the closet. Objects just take the most random places in the house for no apparent reason. […]
“A drifter discovers a pair of sunglasses that allow him to wake up to the fact that aliens have taken over the Earth.” If this sounds like the story of a low-budget horror film, you might have seen too many of them. I saw “They Live” as a kid and the fact that I still […]
Reading Don Reinertsen’s book “The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development” was a truly enlightening experience, especially when it comes to understanding queues and the problems that queues cause in a regular product development process. Having almost five years of development behind Kanbanize, and many more before that, we came to […]
Kanban is probably the best thing that can happen to a DevOps team from the “project/process management” point of view. It is infinitely flexible and is able to address the core issues that a regular DevOps team has in a lightweight and unobtrusive way. Learn more about it in this blog article.
This article is going to explain a basic concept – how demand and throughput live together. It is going to touch a little bit from queuing and suggest ways to control both variables. As usual, we will be working with simple examples that make it easy to understand and apply the techniques that Kanbanize was built to enable. This time you will be an artist who owns an online business that doesn’t do so well, even though you send tons of paintings. Go through the entire post to figure out how you got out of this situation.
The traditional waterfall approach to building software (and other things) has been anathematized as being the worst thing that can happen to a company and has practically been banned from the industry for good. Its successor – agile has been discovered and promoted as the only way to do things properly. Is this applicable to everyone?