For more product guides on this topic, please, visit our Knowledge Base.
The single most powerful feature that we have ever released is now live. It is the long-awaited possibility to modify tasks automatically when certain events happen (When X and Y then Z). It is something like the email rules in MS Outlook, but much nicer and much more convenient for big projects.
We have started with five policies that we believe are most important for a project. With them you can move linked tasks, you can block or unblock linked tasks and you can move a task when it is being updated via the email integration feature (very suitable for a helpdesk or a support solution).
Let us go through the typical scenarios that runtime policies fit perfectly in.
Scenario 1: Project Portfolio Management
First, if you have not read our previous article about portfolio management, please check it here. Now when you are familiar with the basics, let’s move to the advanced stuff.
With a portfolio board you want to have a master board which shows the progress of a project. Each project on the board is represented by a Kanban card (task) as shown on the picture below.
Now you want to know what status each project is in without reading tons of reports, which may or may not be correct. All you need to do is define a set of policies:
- When any of the Project work items is moved to X/Y/Z, then move the Project itself to a specified column on the Master Board. A typical example is: “When any of the Project work items is moved to In Progress, move the entire project to In Progress”.
- When all of the Project work items are moved to X/Y/Z, move the Project itself to a specified column on the Master Board. A typical example is: “When all of the Project work items are moved to Done, move the entire project to Done”.
- When any of the Project work items is blocked, then block the entire Project. Blocking in the context of Kanbanize means “visually alarm that there is a problem”. The work on the project will not be halted, but the responsible project manager will know that something is not right. Respectively, if you want to automatically unblock the project when no more work items are blocked, you could configure that.
What are the benefits of a Kanban Portfolio Management with Kanbanize?
It can all be summarized to one sentence. We make things simple. You can track the entire project by just looking at a single Kanban card, all the analytics come for you out of the box and you know when you need to take action and resolve a blocker. Setting up a project takes two clicks and defining the policies takes around 2 minutes. Can you do that faster with another tool?
Scenario 2: Help Desk/Support Solution
The Helpdesk/Support solution in Kanbanize comes hand-in-hand with the Email to Kanban Integration feature. If you are not familiar with the Email Integration in Kanbanize, please read more details here.
So, you have a premium account in Kanbanize, you know how to work with the email integration and you want to have your entire helpdesk/support team doing their work from within the Kanban board without having to check email or other tools? No problem!
All you need to do is the following:
- Create the Kanban board for the team and make sure to put columns like “Pending”, “In progress”, “Waiting on Us”, “Waiting on Customer”.
- Whenever you receive an email from your customers (you can forward your help desk email alias to Kanbanize) a new task will be created (You can configure the default column for all new tasks, let’s say it is Pending).
- Define a policy to move tasks to “Waiting on Us” whenever a customer replies to your clarifying questions or when the customer has to confirm something.
If you do these simple steps, you will have a fully automated help desk and support system, which will measure everything for you to the second.
What are the benefits of a Kanban Help desk / Support solution with Kanbanize?
We will not stop repeating this one, as it is one of our core values: We make things simple. Apart from that we visualize all support issues and make it really clear what the situation is. We calculate all important metrics for you and of course provide great visibility and tracking into each support request.
You want to see a demo? Drop us a mail and we will arrange that for you!
For more updated information about all the recent Runtime Policies added to Kanbanize since this article was first published, head to the USER GUIDES.